Moving a family member into an assisted living facility is never an easy transition. Unfortunately, it is typically a taxing and stressful adjustment for any family. Often, choosing the best facility is difficult for several reasons. There are many factors to consider and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. More than anything, you want to ensure that your loved one’s needs will be met above all.
We’ve provided a list of important questions to consider in the process of choosing the best assisted living facility for your loved one:
Questions Regarding Expectations And Desires
First and foremost, this will be a major adjustment for any individual. Moving to assisted living is often associated with feelings of loss and displacement. That’s why it is important to discuss your loved one’s desires and expectations.
- What do they want from their experience?
- What do they consider non-negotiable?
- What activities would you enjoy?
- What will your insurance and budget provide?
- What concerns do you have?
Questions Regarding the Staff and Community
It is important to have a list of questions prepared when touring and interviewing assisted living facilities. Questions should cover a range of topic including the staff and the community. You want to know the specifics of care as well as the level of community provided for residents.
- What is the staff-to-resident ratio?
- What are caretakers’ responsibilities and restrictions?
- What community events/activities do you offer for residents?
- What training have staff members undergone?
- Is there a high turnover rate among staff members?
Questions Regarding the Assisted Living Facility
Questions about the facility itself are not usually on the top of the list of questions to ask, but they are important nonetheless. Ultimately, you want to ensure that the facility is in good shape, and not in a state of disrepair.
- Is the facility new construction? If not, when was it constructed?
- Is there any ongoing construction currently happening?
- What types of apartments are available?
- Are rooms shared or private?
- Are spaces built to accommodate wheelchairs?
- What are the cleaning and maintenance requirements?
This is not an exhaustive list of questions for your search for the best assisted living facility, but it will get you started. The most important thing is that you choose the place that best fits your loved one and their needs. Don’t be afraid to ask every question in the book to make sure it’s the best fit.
Waldron Carpentry has been a proud partner in the construction of assisted living facilities throughout SWFL. We continue to maintain excellence in craftsmanship for every project in 2021 and beyond.